Conditions of Entry
1. Members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and gender Queer community, including family & friends, who either were born in or are currently residing in Tasmania, are invited to exhibit their creative works in Artfully Queer 2023.
2. The exhibition is open to all artistic mediums & formats, and we ask that the work that incorporates the theme of the exhibition (Together).
3. Entry is free for anyone with a current TasPride Inc membership. To become a TasPride Member click here.
4. Your online entry form must be submitted by Tuesday the 10th October 2023 so we can plan the gallery layout for the show. Entry forms may be accepted after this date at the Curators discretion. If you are planning a large work, a performance, or installation please contact the Curators to discuss well in advance.
5. Each artist may enter up to three works. If you have a compelling reason to enter more than three works (for example if they are very small works) then contact the Curators to discuss. If you are interested in creating an installation or performance work please contact the curators.
6. All work must be the original work of the artist/s & must not have been displayed in any other exhibitions (EXCLUDING student experimental art spaces such as The Ramp or Entrepot and work shown in university or TAFE open days and expos) unless of course, there is a compelling reason to re-show the work at Artfully Queer, which should be run past the curator. Invited Featured Artists are exempt from clause 6 however their work must still address the theme.
7. We request that if possible (we understand not everyone is comfortable with writing) artists write a brief statement about how they have addressed the theme "Together". This information can help the audience understand the context and intent of the work. You can fill out your artists statement via our online entry form when it becomes available.
8. All works must be delivered to Salamanca Arts Centre between 10am - 2pm on Thursday 12th of October 2022 unless otherwise arranged with the curator. Delivery is the responsibility of the artist. All works must be clearly identified (labeled) with the artist's name, phone number and work title, & arrive 'exhibition ready' (for example, with an effective and safe hanging system if required). Installation work will need to be set up by the artist/s on the Thursday the 12th or by arrangement with the curators (contact the curators to arrange times). Wall works with insufficient hanging systems may be rejected or not exhibited - no responsibility is taken for works with insufficient hanging systems.
9. Artwork may be photographed by TasPride Inc to promote this and future exhibitions in publications or online.
10. All works are to remain at the Long Gallery until the collection date and time (NO EXCEPTIONS). All works must be collected from the Long Gallery between 11am - 2pm Sunday 5th of November . Collection of work is the responsibility of the artist, or the buyer on completion of payment. If you are unable to collect work at this time we may be able to make alternative arrangements but this means your work will have to be shifted by a kind volunteer to another location to be picked up at a later date - TasPride holds no responsibility for works not collected at the arranged time. Uncollected works will be moved off site, and pick up will be via prearrangement only, no responsibility taken for loss or damage in this circumstance.
11. You may choose to have your work/s available for sale. A commission of 10% will be charged by TasPride Inc for all works sold. TasPride Inc will manage the sale of works and will not release the work to the buyer until the artist has been paid the full amount minus the 10% commission. Artists selling work must provide their bank account details for direct deposit. (See Entry Form) the 10% commission helps to cover costs such as gallery hire.
12. All entries are exhibited at the owner's own risk. TasPride Inc & Salamanca Arts Centre will not accept any liability for loss, damage or theft. Please note the exhibition space will be supervised by volunteers when open to the public.
13. Artworks will be judged by a panel of established and well respected LGBTQ artists/designers/creatives. Artists can choose to be excluded from any competition prizes (see entry form), otherwise entry will be assumed. The Collective Work is not eligible for any prize. Featured (invited established artists) are also not eligible for any prizes.
14. We ask that prize-winning works be available for display (where possible) on request for future events like retrospective or commemorative exhibitions & shows.
15. As Artfully Queer is run/organized by volunteers, we ask exhibitors to help out with Gallery Sitting. Exhibitors are asked to help invigilate the show (sit the exhibition) and can indicate their community spirit in this regard in their entry form. If you work during the week, consider a shift on the weekend. Gallery sitting shifts are usually around 3 hours. There's a lovely queer friendly cafe (Tricycle Cafe) underneath the Long Gallery and there's worse things to do on a Saturday or Sunday than sit with a coffee and a toasty surrounded by your communities creative output. Its fun watching the public view your work too, please note volunteer invigilators is one of the ways we are able to minimise the commission TasPride charges to exhibit.
16. Concerning the Collective Work only - contributions to the Collective Work will never be sold for profit, but may be donated at TasPride's discretion to LGBTIQ community organisations. By contributing to the Collective Work you agree to this condition.
17. Concerning Featured Artists only - Featured Artists are practicing, famous/notorious LGBTQ artists and designers and creatives who are invited by the Curators to participate as a gesture of queer community solidarity and LGBTQ visibility. They are not eligible to enter any prizes, but may choose to sell their work and 10% of any sale goes to supporting TasPride.
Thanks so much for for taking the time to familiarise yourself with our conditions of entry. Any further questions? Email the Curators, Phoebe Adams and Michelle Dracoulis at firstname.lastname@example.org (Title ATTN Artfully Queer Curators)